Friday 17 February 2012

Book Review - Before I go to Sleep

I have just finished reading an absolutely brilliant book;

Before I go to Sleep, by S.J.Watson

'As I sleep, my mind will erase everything I did today. I will wake up tomorrow as I did this morning. Thinking I'm still a child. Thinking I have a whole lifetime of choice ahead of me ...' 

Memories define us. So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep? Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love - all forgotten overnight. And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story. 

Welcome to Christine's life 


The main character, Christine is really well written and believable I really felt her emotions and frustrations throughout. You really get involved in the nightmare she is living, going to sleep each night and forgetting everything that has ever happened, to be reminded the same things every day. I like how the author brings in the emotions of her family too, and you understand how difficult this situation is for everyone around her.

I felt that the opening chapter was really powerful, and really hooks you in from the start, to avoid spoilers I won't say too much but I think it would be difficult for anyone to read the first chapter, and not want to continue. I really could not stop reading!

The story is told through the perspective of Christine, through her journal, which was really unique and worked really well with her unraveling bits of her life as the story continues.

There are lots of twists and turns and I found myself gasping out loud quite a few times, I did not expect the ending. It does not come to an end too suddenly either which I liked, it builds up to the ending brilliantly.

I found this quite similar to Rosamund Luptons, Sister - not the subject, but the suspense and the feeling you get from the book. I would recommend this book to anyone, and I will be! It was an excellent read. 


Gemma xx

No comments:

Post a Comment