Monday 30 January 2012

Book Review: Agent 6

I have just finished reading this book by Tom Rob Smith. It is the third and final installment of the Leo Demidov series.



I have read both of the other books in the series, Child 44 & Secret Speech. Child 44 was excellent, but Secret Speech I didn't enjoy so much, as it seemed to turn the character into a super human type figure, but this made up for that!


In this book, it starts off in 1950 when Leo was sill a secret agent in the KGB, it describes one of his missions and also how he met his wife, Raisa. I really liked this, because in the books before it touches on their relationship, but not in detail so I enjoyed this part of the story. 

Fifteen years later, Leo's family all travel to New York on a 'Peace Tour' but because he is no longer in the secret service and refused any dealings with them, he cannot go with them. During the tour, a 'tragic murder destroys everything he loves' Leo is distraught and then goes about finding out exactly what happened, and embarks on a mission to find out who is Agent 6?


One thing I loved about this book, was that you really get to understand Leo, and what he lives for. Which I didn't get from the other books, especially Secret Speech. The book keeps you gripped from the beginning and  I liked the ending too.


I do like Tom Rob Smith's writing style, the way he formats chapters and also doesn't use speech marks, the speech is in itallics and inverted, I have not seen this style before. 


I would recommend this book, and if you haven't read the other two, you definately should...although, you could get away with reading this one on it's own.


The others in the series 

Gemma xx

No comments:

Post a Comment